Sunday, June 10, 2012

My life is no longer at BYU

So I must admit that the title of my blog is no longer fitting but it is too much work to change it.  I loved my time at BYU but man I am sure excited to be graduated.  I am so happy to not have homework and tests.  I enjoy work and I am excited to start on Wed.  I will be working for National Oilwell Varco in the Next Generation program which is a leadership feeding program.  I have most of my 3 month rotations in Human Resources, which is what I love.  I have also committed to write a weekly update which will be posted on my blog and sent out to my family.  Thank you Amy Briggs for the inspiration and Stephanie for the follow up.  Families are just the greatest thing ever.  So here is week 1 update coming to you from Houston, Texas.  Also for anyone who does not know, I am engaged now to Jake Evans and I love it!

I am in Texas and I absolutely love it here.  The people are super friendly.  It is amazing because as we drive on any of the country roads, if you are close to someone they just pull over to the shoulder so you can pass them.  They are just friendly all of the time.  I am in Houston and it is definitely a bigger city feel.  People drive the speed limit in the country but in the city they go fast again.  I had the biggest miracle ever.  I have 2 incredible roommates.  My room roommate is Emily and she just graduated from BYU in Dietetics.  She is from El Paso and she is the sweetest thing ever.  She served her mission at temple square. She is 5'11'' and she likes to cook, play tennis, and play the violin.  She is very tidy and just a great girl all the way around.  Our other roommate is Rosie. She is from Puerto Rico.  She is super funny.  She is a convert but she seems really strong in the gospel now. She works as a Spanish translator and thus even knows some Spain Spanish.  It is super fun.  The apartment is super nice, big and clean!!!!  I feel super blessed to have found them.

Today we went to church and the singles ward is awesome.  I was shocked at how many people I know.  I knew a guy from EFY, one from my ward 3 years ago, a girl from my ward 5 years ago, a girl from SAC last year, and a girl from a semester at Nauvoo.  My bigger shock is that Emily and I should have met each other years ago.  She lived in Allred, right across from me when I lived in BDA.  There are just so many times I feel like we should have met each other.

Lets see here, moving in takes time.  It took us forever to shop at IKEA and walmart, like 3 hours at least.  But I am getting moved in.  I am excited for work too.  I still need to figure out how to get to the offices where I will be working.  The ward is great because they like to get everyone involved and they are really friendly.  I am also very blessed because Mom is here helping me.  I am so grateful she rode all the way to Houston with me and now she is helping me get moved in and settled.  Aren't moms the greatest?  I think so.  As far as the rest of the week, I had fun seeing Amy and Jake before I left. We spent two days in Utah.  Oh and I saw a lot of my EFY friends and that was awesome.  I miss EFY but I am excited for the new adventures ahead.  I hope things are going well for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment