Sunday, October 20, 2013

Blessings of Service and Love

It is freezing!!! Okay so Iowa decided to get cold.  I am not complaining because I recognize that my tolerance level has already improved and that it will continue to improve as it continues to get colder.  So we are experiencing weather in the 30's-50's.  We have been enjoying reviewing conference talks for our companionship studies and family home evening.  We are so blessed to have a living prophet on the earth who receives revelation for the whole world directly from God.  I am grateful to know I can receive personal revelation for my life and my families life but to also hear what God see's for his children in general.
 
Jake finally had his army physical.  It ahs been a long and interesting road in applying which has lasted over 3 months.  So we will just have to see what they say.
 
We had an institute lecture series this Friday about creating a Christ centered home.  We really enjoyed it as we heard how God's gospel truly brings us happiness rather than what the world says brings happiness.  It was also great to discuss with other couples the struggles we all face to accomplish our goal of a gospel centered home and to hear ideas on how to overcome those struggles.  Oh another fun fact is that we brought soup to the institute gathering and I tried a new recipe from a friend for potato soup and it was the first soup to be eaten. I barely got to try it. For those who don't know, cooking isn't quite a natural thing for me.  I have been working on it a lot so I felt really blessed and excited to have a soup that people liked so much.
 
Tuesday I got to babysit and feel like a mom at play group.  We have a friend whose mother had to go to the hospital so I spent the morning watching their little boy.  Then I took him and another friend who just had a baby, I took her little girl to play group with me.  It was fun to feel like I was a helping and it was fun to go to play group with kids for the first time.  I came with 2 and left with none as the little girl got a ride home earlier and the little boy, his mom stopped by to pick him up after playgroup.  I am excited to be a mom and to have a little guy to take care of.
 
Wed I was in charge of the Relief Society activity on sharing the gospel.  The sister missionaries were super helpful in teaching little classes.  I think the people who attended really found it uplifting and motivating.  Despite the small turnout I think it was a real success. 
 
Jake is doing well in school.  I think his capacity to study and to take on more is slowly growing.  He is very diligent in his studies and in making sure he is still making time for the important things in life.  I cherish my time with him but I never feel like it is lacking.  He is so sweet and kind to watch out for me and to always leave cute little notes for me in the mornings.  I am so very blessed to have such a good husband.  Oh and he is so sweet the other day he was up and vacuuming out behind our stove for me before school.  What a thoughtful guy.
 
We went to the temple!!! Oh that is always such a great experience.  It is a bit of a road trip to drive to Nauvoo but just being in the temple is so special.  The peace and happiness I feel there is very special and unique. 
 
Oh yes and I learned a very valuable lesson.  I hope that all of you can learn from my mistake so you don't have to go through this on your own.  That super awesome potato soup, well I put the peels down the disposal.  This meant that for 2 hours Friday night and another hour on Saturday we worked to unclog our drains.  Oh it was a mess.  So I learned a few things about disposals.  Don't put potato peels or carrot peals down the drain.  Also when you run the disposal, with pretty much everything you should run cold water not hot.  Funny because I am pretty sure I normally run hot water because I am cleaning the sink or dishes, etc.
 
I can't believe October is already more than half way over.  I am excited to start our birthing classes this coming week and to have all the Halloween celebrations start soon.  We hope all is well for each of you.  We pray for you.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got a taste of playgroups! Welcome to the mom club! ha ha! You will see - playgroups are kind of a lifesaver. I was joking with a mom today that playgroups are more for me then they are for my girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lesson about the disposal is key! Wish I could have learned from your mistake...but I already learned from mine. Haha.

    ReplyDelete