Sunday, August 19, 2012

Loving Life with my new Family!!!




First off I must just say I absolutely love being married to Jake Evans.  He is such an incredible guy and I love being with him each and every day.  This week has been a good and crazy one.  I will work my way backwards through time.  I just got home from spending the weekend in San Antonio.  Funny yes because this was the second weekend of being married in Texas.  

Jake interviewed in Lubbock on Friday and drove all Friday evening to meet me in San Antonio.  It was pretty funny because we were trying to find a low cost hotel and it was a bit of a dive.  It wasn’t too bad, but it was funny.  For example I had reserved a room with a king bed.  I walked up to the room and it was not a King, nor a Queen but a double.  Luckily we are smaller people so we fit but it was a bit of a shock.  Here is another funny story about the hotel.  I stopped to get gas when I was almost to Houston and I noticed my drivers license was missing.  I searched all of my baggage and couldn’t find it anywhere.  I don’t really lose things and all I could think of is that maybe the hotel did not give it back to me.  They make a copy of it when you check in.  So I called and asked the guy if my license was there somewhere around the front desk.  Sure enough he had it right there.  Now keep in mind we stayed at this hotel for two nights and the same ladies who checked me in saw me twice every morning as we went to breakfast.  Never once did they stop me or look up where my room was.  How crazy is that.  Luckily Jake is still in San Antonio so he will pick it up for me.

I had my first encounter with fire ants.  Nope these ants are not like the cute ones amy used to play with when she was a kid.  We had fun taking pictures by a sign that had Evans on it.  Jake went first.  Then I ran up and stood by the sign.  We had just come from the temple so I was in a skirt with dress sandals.  I turned to do a different pose and I tried to hold still because Jake was taking a picture but it felt like I was being stung. I thought it was a plant or something. I looked down and it was just grass but it hurt so I ran to the sidewalk and tore off my shoes.  There were ants ALL over.  They are fast little guys and they hurt.  I wiped them off but there were more.  It is funny because I think my defense mechanism often is flight.  As soon as I had wiped off all the ants I could see, I ran bare foot back to the car.  My only thought was to get away from where the ants were and to maybe pour some water on my feet.  Jake was a brave person who grabbed my shoes and banged them enough times to get all of the ants off them.  Lesson learned.  Be careful to ever walk in the grass with sandals in Texas.  Amy don’t play with the ants here, they are not so nice.

Funny story.  Jake and I were excited to go to the temple.  It is smaller so you need to call and reserve a time to do a session.  We did this.  Well we had 2 cars in San Antonio because I came from Houston and he came from Lubbock and I had to leave earlier.  Well our temple clothes ended up in the wrong car.  Not only that but my recommend was with my clothes.  We didn’t realize this until we were just about to the temple.  In the temple parking lot I was going to change into my skirt and go study inside while Jake went in.  Well we spent about 5 minutes in the parking lot, but without success to open my suitcase.  The zipper was jammed and was also tearing away from the fabric.  We couldn’t get it open. I felt so funny walking into the temple in capris and flip flops without a recommend.  I think we must have drawn some attention as I was dressed this way and Jake was in his church clothes.  Then as I kissed him and said I would be waiting for him.  The temple president talked with him and said if I could get the suitcase open and get my skirt, he would work on calling on my recommend.  The temple gave us scissors and that really helped.  I don’t know how much longer that suit case will last.  But miracle after miracle.  We were able to go in and do some temple work.
 
Another silly miracle from the week is that we are getting a fair number of packages of late wedding gifts.  Well someone paid extra to have us sign to receive it.  This turned out to be a bit of a mess.  Neither Jake nor I were home when they first came by.  Then the UPS man just picks the time he will come the next day.  It was in the middle of the day when I was at work and Jake was driving to Lubbock.  Then if you are not there on the third try they send it back to the sender.  I didn’t want this to happen as someone was trying to give us a gift.  But it was going to be over an hour trip to go to where they could  store the package.  So with a lot of prayers and faith I came home for lunch on Thursday.  The delivery guy was to come anywhere from 10:30-3:30.  I was home for lunch for about 30 mins total.  Sure enough the Lord is so merciful, right as my alarm went off saying I needed to return to work, there was a knock at the door and it was the ups man.
I love little tender mercies. 

A great blessing was that my friend Brad has an uncle who is an ophthalmologist in San Antonio.  I thought it would be great if Jake could meet him.  Jake spoke with him on the phone and he invited us to come to their church with them.  Once at church his wife invited us over for dinner.  It was so kind of them.  The food was fantastic.  We had a thanksgiving meal.  It was fun to hear a little about his profession and experience.  It was even more fun to be in a home with a big family.  They have 12 kids, only 9 at home now.  I just loved every minute of it.  It was a little new for Jake but he also liked seeing me get so excited about the big family for the entire time we were there.  Oh what great memories I have of our family growing up.

So life is good.  The Lord is very aware of us.  He watches over us and blesses us, even in the small things.  I am ever so grateful for all of those blessings, especially my new family that we have started here in Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment