Sunday, October 10, 2010

The challenge

My teacher challenged us to buy a treat and give it to a complete stranger. So I went and bought a bag of candy corns because it is Halloween. I went for a walk to see who was outside, definitely referring to all the people I don't know. I prayed that I would give it to someone who would be really happy, who needed a pick me up, or who would be happy just because of the experience. I was by the Provo library when I saw a couple pushing a stroller. The little girl, Evelyn, was so cute. She is 17 months old, she had the biggest blue eyes, and her hair was in piggy tails. I asked her dad if I could give them the bag of candy. He asked me if this was a trick question. I told him no. I tried talking to Evelyn but she wouldn't respond. He said she was kind of in a grumpy mood. It was dinner time. Which in my home if someone doesn't get f0od when they are hungry, it is like a war is ready to break out. So I understood perfectly. The mom joked that the candy could help cheer the little girl up. This is what I had hoped for. I thanked them and told them I hoped they enjoyed the rest of their walk, and we went our separate ways. It was pretty fun. I think I like doing the reverse. That is, leaving something anonymously for someone I know. Either way it is super fun to serve in creative ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment